Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Time in Nepal - Katharina Kuster


From September to November 2011 I could fulfil a lifetime dream. 10 weeks in Nepal!!! It was an unforgettable experience. Nepal’s diversity is just stunning. From Jungle to Mountains, from subtropical weather to the cold temperatures in the mountains and a richness of religion and culture– everything is united in Nepal!!!




From the beginning on I could immerse in that amazing culture. Nepalese people are so warm-hearted, friendly and helpful. Though you can see that they don’t have much, they seem to be happy with whatever they have. I’m so glad that I could meet such wonderful people. Those 10 weeks made me aware of how less you actually need to live and to be happy and what luxury we have in Europe.

The “orientation week” that I spend with 4 other volunteers from GVI was a great introduction into the country, the culture and the customs. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed our time together while exploring Kathmandu. 




Working in two different placements (Chitwan and Nuwakot) gave me a great opportunity to see different schools and meet some great people.Working in a home for hearing impaired kids made my stay in Nepal unforgettable. It was amazing to see how happy these kids were and how little it needed to put smiles on their faces and to make them happy. I loved to go to these kids and it was so nice to see how they were waiting for us in front of their house – jumping and waving. I felt really needed and that’s what made my stay so valuable!



I’m sure it was not the last time that I’ve visited that amazing country with those wonderful people!


Katharina Kuster, 2011, 10wk volunteer in Chitwan and Nuwakot 

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: